Gros Peak ski

Share experiences and news about hiking, peak climbing, pack-rafting, ski/snowboard mountaineering, or whatever in Greater Yellowstone.

Moderator: TomTuriano

TomTuriano
Site Admin

Gros Peak ski

Post by TomTuriano »

Joe Hartney sent me photos of his mid-April trip to Gros Peak with Wade McCoy, Jeff Burke, et al. They said the main southwest couloir of Gros is already melted out and cliffs are exposed, but they climbed and skied a nice couloir that curves off summit to the skiers' right of the main southwest couloir. They used biles up Cache Creek and followed the highline trail to Blackman Creek and then returned to Cache Creek after skiing Gros by way of Cache Peak and The Gash (aka Mad Dog 20/20). Images below:

Nick Stayner

Gros Peak area runs

Post by Nick Stayner »

Hi Tom,

I was recently back at ye olde ski cabin and found a few interesting trip reports by a frequent cabin patron in an old journal. He refers to the "Gros Glacier Couloir"- is this the main southwest couloir you refer to? Also, I saw a spectacular shot in the vicinity of Cache Pk., an aesthetic hourglass couloir on a rounded bump. Judging from some of said patron's sketches, I would think that it's the "Dome Couloir" on "Dome Peak". Any info? Can't wait to get back there and ski some more of the gorgeous Gros Ventres!

Thanks,
NS
TomTuriano
Site Admin

the GV

Post by TomTuriano »

Nick,

I am not sure what the Gros Glacier Couloir is. But I would guess that it is on the north side of the peak, not the south. There are several short couloirs that spike up to the ridgecrest west of the summit.

I have heard reference to a Dome Peak and Dome Couloir in the vicinity of the Ski Cabin before, but I am not sure what it is. I have always thought it was Peak 10,258, but not sure.

There is the famous Gash Couloir or Maddog 20/20 off the flying buttress of Cache Peak. Is that what you saw? Or was it something off of 10,258?

Can you send me pictures?

t
TomTuriano
Site Admin

Dome Peak

Post by TomTuriano »

Nick,

I spoke to Darrell Miller. He is the one who named Dome Peak. Here's what he has to say:

Yo Tom, during my short tenure in the GV, I have named the peaks what I
think they look like to me. The one I call Dome Peak is west of 10649, east of Cache Peak. It's pretty insignificant really, a little hump on the
10649-cachepeak ridge line. It's got a north facing couloir off it, but
it's only like 100 vertical if that. I rode it back in 1999? for the simple
fact of being the only snowboarder out there. But considering how mini this peak is, it's probably not the same dome peak you've heard about. Hope this helps.
TomTuriano
Site Admin

New Pic of Gros

Post by TomTuriano »

Hi, I took this shot late this summer (2005) of the northeast side of Gros Peak from Peak 10,840 (on triple divide between Granite, Bunker, and Mesa/Box creeks). It shows some of the skiing options on that side.