Barronette Peak

Share experiences and news about hiking, peak climbing, pack-rafting, ski/snowboard mountaineering, or whatever in Greater Yellowstone.

Moderator: TomTuriano

TomTuriano
Site Admin

Barronette Peak

Post by TomTuriano »

Received this message from Joseph Bullough:

Tom -

I have a copy of "Select Peaks of Greater Yellowstone" and it is an outstanding book. I was wondering if you have any advice for an attempt of Barronette Peak? My wife and I will be up there over Memorial Day weekend, and if conditions are good I'd like to give it a try. I was thinking of parking at the bridge crossing of Soda Butte creek about 2 miles north of the peak, and heading for the north ridge from there. Would this be the best route at this time of year?

Gear-wise, I was thinking snowshoes (definetely) crampons (possibly?) and an ice axe (probably not?).

I'd appreciate any suggestions or other info you might have regarding this peak.

Thanks a bunch

Joseph Bullough
Salt Lake City, UT
TomTuriano
Site Admin

Re: Barronette Peak

Post by TomTuriano »

My reply:

The typical/easiest way up is by the south ridge...see attached map. Might be pretty technical going via the north ridge...I don't know. For the south ridge, there's a plowed pullout on the highway pretty much even with the drainage that you go up. The drainage has some tricky routefinding and some steep spots, but totally doable, non-technical. Crampons depends on the weather/conditions, but is steep enough to need them if conditions are firm. Same goes for ice axe. I would skip the snowshoes. If the snow is that soft, then its probably dangerous too, and I wouldn't even make an attempt. The snow should be firm if you will attempt it....early start.

TomTuriano
Site Admin

Re: Barronette Peak

Post by TomTuriano »

Tom -

Thanks for the info on Barronette Peak - we made a successful climb last friday. We followed your description, except we parked at the bridge crossing about 1/2 mile south of where you indicated. This prevented us from having to cross Soda Butte Creek, which was flowing pretty strongly. Then we just headed north back to the approximate spot you indicated. I think we ended up ascending the next gulley to the south of where you indicated, but it still worked out. Reaching the south ridge was the toughest part of the hike. The south ridge was long but really easy.

Thanks again for your help.

Joseph Bullough