Where/What is Austen Peak?

Share experiences and news about hiking, peak climbing, pack-rafting, ski/snowboard mountaineering, or whatever in Greater Yellowstone.

Moderator: TomTuriano

TomTuriano
Site Admin

Where/What is Austen Peak?

Post by TomTuriano »

Hi, I have received this question numerous times, but never so eloquently as from Scott Stolte today:

Tom-

I came across an amazing picture down in the little restaurant N. of Cora( "The Place"). The photo showed an amazing looking peak with a huge couloir off the summit. It was identified as "Austin Peak" in the Shoshone NF. The photo was taken by some couple from Lander (sorry I didn't write down their name) It also said it was 43 miles east of the Grand and the picture verified this with the Grand in the background. It was a winter shot and showed a group of about 5-6 people on the summit. I would guess you have been in the restaurant and may even know of this picture, it is really big and framed near the restrooms. The couloir looked like a great ski objective so I started a little research to find out more about its location but have come up totally empty. Topozone on the net doesn't even list a Austin Peak in WY. I figured I would go to the source on such matters (you) and see what you knew about this Austin Peak. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Stolte
Personnel Director/NW Regional Manager
Wilderness Ventures
TomTuriano
Site Admin

The Answer

Post by TomTuriano »

To Scott and everyone else who has drooled over the same picture currently hanging at The Place in Cora, WY. The same picture used to hang at Mountain High Pizza in Jackson and I believe it used to hang at Nora's in Wilson too.

Anyway, Austen Peak is the high point of the plateau along the wilderness boundary northeast of Brooks Lake, northwest of Bonneville Pass, and south of Cub Creek. It is a very common destination for 'bilers from Brooks Lake.

It probably was named by the Shoshone National Forest for Al Austen, an early Forest ranger.

Jason Tattersall was filmed setting off a slide in that couloir and then skiing it. I think it appeared in a TGR movie. I have this info in my archives if anyone is interested.

I also have the naming of Austin Peak in my archives, but can't remember it off top of head.

More later...

Thomas Turiano
Jeramie Prine

Austin Peak Trip Report

Post by Jeramie Prine »

Hope this is alright to post, but here is a trip report from Austin Peak skied 4/21/07. It is an amazing mountain with spines, couloirs, and lines that will make you drool. We dubbed the north side "Little Italy."

Click link:
http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3619

Snow is still so good in the Absarokas. Get you some!
Jeramie Prine
Let us come together off-piste in a peaceful fashion!
http://www.ramshornguestranch.com