Letters from Mike Kowalski

Questions and comments about my ski and climbing guiding.

Moderator: TomTuriano

TomTuriano
Site Admin

Letters from Mike Kowalski

Post by TomTuriano »

Received this nice letter from Mike Kowalski of New Jersey:

Tom,

I would like to thank you very much for the best day of climbing that the girls and I have ever had. Our experience with you and the folks at Exum was so much better than I had expected it to be.

You were an excellent guide, you got us all to do things that we did not expect to do. Allison is still talking about the 5.9 overhang that she did! Brooke loved being able to climb harder routes, and to belay. You pushed me to get myself back into the swing of climbing again. We will be heading to the Gunks the next free day we have!

I do have one small bone to pick with you, your modesty! After spending the day with you, and hearing your climbing partner discuss some of your first ascents, I came back to the Exum hut and read your bio in the guide book! You are just what I like in a guide, someone who we all know has superior knowledge and skills, but doesn't make us feel like we are miles below you. I have just ordered your book from Amazon, and would love to send it out to you for an autograph when it arrives. I am seriously looking into a Jackson Hole winter vacation, so I hope your offer of some backcountry skiing still stands.

The girls and I have set our sites on a trip up the Grand in a few summers, either two or three, we'll see who is leading, Alli or Brooke, dad will undoubtedly be in the rear of those two! I don't worry about their progress, I foresee them passing me by on the rock sooner rather than later! As your daughter grows you will see how great a feeling it is to see your child excelling and striving to pass you. Keep some time open for an expedition to the summit of Grand Teton with the Kowalski's in the 2007 or 2008 climbing season!

Once again, thanks for the experience, I have always loved the mountains, and have loved sharing that with my daughters. Spending the day with you was as much a thrill for me as it was for Allison and Brooke. I am a surgeon, and spending a day in the mountains with you showed me in your operating room, you run it just as I run mine, there are rules to be followed, but you keep it loose enough for everyone to express themselves, the only thing missing was the Dave Matthews Band music that I fill my OR with. Speaking from one professional to another, thank you for the experience, neither me nor my daughters will forget it.

Enjoy the rest of the summer,

Mike Kowalski, DPM
TomTuriano
Site Admin

Letter to Exum

Post by TomTuriano »

Mike Kowalski sent this letter to Exum:

My daughters and I climbed with Tom Turiano on August 11, 2005, and I had to write to tell you how GREAT of a day we had. The day of climbing that we experienced with Tom exceeded our expectations by so much I cannot express it in words, the smiles on all of our faces tell it best!

I have been cilmbing recreationally since the late 1970s and have introduced my daughters, Allison 12, and Brooke 8, to the sport 4 years ago. We have climbed with guides in Acadia National Park, Whitehorse Ledge, and with Exum. While all of our past guided experiences have been rewarding in their own ways, and we have made friends with several excellent guides, none have come close to Tom.

Tom's laid back style, and confidance building approach enabled each of us to climb higher graded climbs than we have been doing. Allison climbed a 5.9 overhang, and Brooke and I hit 5.7.

We will be back in the future, and will most definately ask for Tom again. The girls and I have set a goal to climb the Grand in the next 2-3 years, and we could not think of any better guide than Tom to lead us up.

I know you must know Tom's value to your program, but I felt compelled to express our satisfaction with his expertise. Thank you all for your professionalism, value, and above all FUN.

Mike Kowalski, DPM