Praise for "Teton Pass Backcountry Guide"

Reviews and comments for Jackson Hole Backcountry Skier's Guide, Select Peaks of Greater Yellowstone, Teton Skiing, Jackson Hole Ski Guide, and Teton Pass Backcountry Guide

Moderator: TomTuriano

TomTuriano
Site Admin

Praise for "Teton Pass Backcountry Guide"

Post by TomTuriano »

"Thank you so much for taking the time for us to stop by and pick up the books last month. It was a pleasure meeting you after seeing your reviews in a few magazines. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading, looking and repeatedly flipping through your books. You did a great job pulling all the little pieces together that make BC skiing so wonderful. Your efforts are appreciated."
-Robert Fink, Park City, UT

"Thanks for the great guide books. As a guy that always likes to ski & wilderness travel alone, your guides are like my new companion. I just wanted to let you know I really appreciate your effort to put these together. Just walked in the door after skiing north side of Windy Ridge. I was the only person in Mail Cabin Creek Drainage. Fantastic! Do you have a release date for your new Backcountry Skiers Guide North? Thanks again!
-Thomas Randgaard, Wilson, WY

"Love it! Came back from guiding and ice climbing and had a coveted present waiting for me! What really makes this book as all your other books is the loving work you put into getting the historical info into the guide books you write! Thank you Tom for your inspiration to us all!
-Michael Burk, Bloomfield, NJ

"Hey Tom, I've been traveling and just got back to the office to find a copy of the new Teton Pass Backcountry Guide. Wow! Absolutely beautiful! Thank you so much for including Winter Wildlands Alliance and for the stellar ad placement! We'll definitely spread the word about the guidebook. Hope this winter is treating you well. Thanks again for your support and partnership."
-Mark Menlove, Boise, ID

"I got my Teton Pass book. Another Turiano triumph!"
-Jim O'Brien, Winnetka, IL

"Tom, I received your new book, it’s a beauty, glad to be a part of it, thanks!"
-Wade McCoy, Jackson, WY

Tom, Thank you so much for a delivery and a signed copy of your book. Very well done, I will cherish the memories and future skis it invokes. Here is to future adventures.
-Steve Poole, Wilson, WY
TomTuriano
Site Admin

Re: Praise for "Teton Pass Backcountry Guide"

Post by TomTuriano »

This note from Van Andruss, author of "A Compass and a Chart: The Life of Fred Brown, Philosopher & Mountaineer," brought tears to my eyes when I received it on March 12, 2016. Fred Brown has always been an inspiration, and I never even met him:

Thomas! What a great job you did with this guidebook, not only about the history of skiing in the area, but including the maps and descriptions of a great variety of ski runs throughout the book. Really impressive. My partner Eleanor read it from cover to cover, and we have loaned it out to a ski enthusiast friend who will find the book fascinating, I don't doubt. The price of the book is astounding. It must have cost you a small fortune gathering material and putting it together.

I learned much about this phase of Fred's career. I do wish I'd had this on hand when I wrote of his skiing experiences in my biography. But you did him much honour and if he could only see your work, he would be thrilled; I know for certain his now deceased partner Susan would have been ecstatic. In short, I love what you've done for this truly outstanding man who went on to be - in my firm opinion, and I've studied a great deal - who went on to be the natural inheritor of Dewey's mantel in the grand philosophy of Pragmatism, the only truly American philosophy. (When you consider the arrested growth of the common American personality, it is indeed a wonder that so grand a body of thought could have bloomed in a soil so thin!)

Let me add my opinion, from living with him and being his protege for ten years, that Fred was a most charming, inspiring human being; most at home, most conspicuously comfortable with a pack sack and his Hudson's Bay ax (small and handy and kept keenly sharp) in the lap of nature. A master of outdoor exploration and the spiritual/moral guide of young people in search of community. He was besides a great companion. I never tired of hanging out with Fred. I knew that I was impossibly privileged to spend day after day, year after year with such a person. I thought of it as a throwback in history when apprenticeship was the means by which young people learned the skills they desired. I could go on! . . .

But about your book. Beautiful. Excellent. And much appreciated in this household. I'm tempted to send you a copy of my latest anthology, the fifteen issue of Lived Experience. You might, you just might want to make a contribution to it, depicting some adventure you had worth telling.

Friendly regards, Van