Gallatin Peak approach

Corrections and additions for Select Peaks of Greater Yellowstone.

Moderator: TomTuriano

TomTuriano
Site Admin

Gallatin Peak approach

Post by TomTuriano »

Hi Everyone,

The approach to Gallatin Peak that I describe on page 121, and show on the map on page 100, is incorrect. At the time of my initial research, we could drive to a trailhead for Bear Basin on the ridge between Beehive and Bear basins. The road that accesses this trailhead is now gated, and there are many more trophy homes in the area, including the completely arrogant placement of a home in Beehive Basin a short distance from the trailhead.

I skied Gallatin Peak with a large group of friends on May 3, 2004. We parked at the Beehive Basin trailhead and climbed over the pass immediately southeast of Peak 10,602T at the head of Beehive Basin. This gave us access across the head of Spanish Creek to Summit Lake. We camped at the very head of the north fork of Hell Roaring Creek, and made the ascent of Gallatin Peak by the west face. We skied the top of the east face, and traversed to finish the descent on the south face. We then climbed over the pass at the very head of the south fork of Hell Roaring Creek to return to our camp.

At the summit, I noticed that a lot of recent register entries mentioned that climbers had started at the Hell Roaring trailhead, as well as the North Fork trailhead.

For ski ascentsdescents, I recommend using the Beehive trailhead and following the route we took. For summer ascents, the fastest way appears to be from the North Fork trailhead (near Big Sky Meadow Village) rather than Hell Roaring or Spanish creeks.

Good luck!

Thomas Turiano

Post by Guest »

Hi Tom,

My name is Ben Laster. I was born and raised in Pinedale and am currently enrolled in the snow science program up at MSU. I made a very wise purchase last summer and bought "Select Peaks". This book has become a very valuable asset in my everyday life.
I was just reading your correction for the Gallatin Peak approach and I'm not quite sure I agree with you in regard to your assertion that Beehive is faster than Bear Basin via the North Fork. I have made several single day ski descents of Gallatin this winter and spring from the North Fork Trailhead. I have also skied Beehive Basin and entered Bear Basin from the Beehive trailhead. Though the mileage is obviously further on the North Fork, I feel you can make better time coming out of Bear. (from the top of the ridge in Bear to car in 45min-hour) Anyway, since I've never summitted Gallatin from Beehive I guess I can only speculate. I supose I have a new project.
I just happened to see a copy of a Backcountry Magazine and saw the article of Steven, Wade, and yourself skiing Gallatin. I read with great interest about your willingness to fight against oil and gas development in the Wyoming Range. I strongly believe that range is one of Wyomings' most unkown treasures.
TomTuriano
Site Admin

North Fork

Post by TomTuriano »

Thanks Ben,

I've always wondered about that North Fork approach. People seem to use it regularly. The fact that the mileage was longer and the trees seemed thicker always made me think that Beehive would be faster. Still, I always look up there when driving up to Big Sky wondering about it, suspecting that it might be quick and easy. My friend Forrest McCarthy also used the North Fork recently and said that it was very straightforward.

Thanks for the input.

Thomas Turiano
TomTuriano
Site Admin

Beehive still best according to McCarthy

Post by TomTuriano »

Hi,

My friend Forrest McCarthy, who works backtracking wolverines for the Wildlife Conservation Society, just told me that he thinks the best way is to park at Beehive Basin trailhead and then walk up the road (which I think is considered private property and closed to public access) to the old Bear Basin trailhead. Then drop into the North Fork from there.

He says there is currently a well-worn foot trail through the snow around the gate, so it appears everyone poaches that short distance of private road to get into the National Forest..

t
b.

Beehive/Bear Basin

Post by b. »

I skied Gallatin from Beehive Basin, we walked the illegal road, but you can easily skin up the normal approach for Middle Basin. After you ski a great run to the confluence of Bear and Middle Basins, the hike up to the divide between Bear and Hellroaring is pretty easy. We camped just below the divide in trees. From there, we crossed the head of Hellroaring and climbed and skied the SE face and retraced. We had a car parked at North Fork so we could just ski out instead of hiking back up to the Beehive divide, but that climb is usually well broken and packed. I hope this helps.

brenon savell